Monday, November 14, 2005

To Strike Down a Herald.

[Music: Pink Floyd]


Animals is their best album that no one thinks is their best album.

--

Contrast Exercise: Moon Behind Blinds.

Someone asked me to demonstrate contrast structures. Since I have been busy with essays, projects and a few Stylus pieces, I have not had too much time to do free writing. So here's contrast in three layers, for those of you who care:

All these pictures were taken within seconds of eachother, momentary frame-ups, with a Sony cybershot 3.2 megapixels digital camera:

(1) Dark foreground, stale/stagnant plain-color background/middle-area blur:



Have the focus easy out the background almost to a blur, then set the flash to very low. It helps if you are closer to the first layer of the image. A relatively simple concept, though with some older camera models the density of the first layer can be difficult to capture correctly.

(2) Defined frontwards, color excretion to actuality/second field highlighted with tint/background warped:



If you prefer using nightshot, the colors will swtich to what they would be without any flash. If you use a high vibrancy flash module the farthest object will reverse color-coat to a near-blur or half range visibility. The first object, of course, will be the most focused due to the switcher on regulatory lenses when nightshot is initiated.

(3) Lightest background/third object over-circulated, almost offsetting last colors/screen nearly not in focus/highest point of foreground object in focus, moving down from bottom blured to a tint:



A difficult contrast to summarize simply because it varries from day to night. For day shots use a leak-tool to allow third-set objects to almost crystallize in brightness, while the other objects play opposite to the original backdrop (medium to middle-high focus). Night shots require a bleak last object, with the third object set to an almost shiny, grainless tone. Other objects, follow opposite of daytime shots minus the range of sharper colors.

I did not tamper with these photos in an editing program. They appear just as they were when I took them.

--

I will post links to my Stylus articles as they are placed on the homepage. My The Weather Man review will be up on Wednesday.

1 comment:

hiddenskyy said...

Haha, your photo-stuff is too technical for me.

Man, I wish I had artsy-skills like you. :P

BTW: Remember that xanga site you referred me to? (Jekyu?) I ended up buying his "100 Memories" book. It's lovely!