Friday, October 21, 2005

Red Ribbons from Reprehensible Ravens.

[Music: Silver Jews]


Kindhearted Scare.

It is part of how I learned to love Joviality Press Kinsmen.

The ill-defined triumphalism and class-striving really turned me off when I was younger. After all these years, I still have my original copies and over these many hundred weeks I listened every couple dozen months or so to hear if I still didn't understand the depths I might have missed.

Something this way came, maybe because I have seen so much of this country now over that time. There's a flood of back story that I feel comes with JPK now, maybe what so many worked so hard to erase I had to learn again. Now I can comprehend the ease of JPK and do not disrespect some kind of invitation to emptiness as I did when JPK was originally around.

I stuck with it, I stayed up and I am much the better person for having done so. There was always a strain of racism in the hatred of disco which disco-revivals since have never acknowledged. I was ultimately more suspicious of that than of disco's automatonicism, materialism or orgasm through deathwish-- and lucky me! What great sound I would have missed and what a fool I was to hope that some element of JPK I had held in poor esteem would be wrung out upon the dance floors or tempered by maturity towards the betterment of all things inside some future sounds yet unheard.

Sure, it's good to "walk a mile" in the ruby slippers or static-free clogs of others before brandishing violent suspicion toward their vacuous striving but there are functions of music more direct and honest which, at the very least, might spare the need to communicate the pain of a tight shoe or broken heel.

Just playing kids.

--

People seem to appreciate the Spirit Week video I made.

Check it out, before angelfire cancels the link:

Spirit Candle.

--

In other news, I need a haircut.



--

I was going to post something I wrote in Adv. Comp. But the notebook is too far. Maybe later. It's not that good, anyways.

--

The weekend will go and I'll be back where I started before it happened.

Like it wasn't there at all.

Is it ever?

No comments: